What converted you? Was führte euch zu eurem Glauben?

Schon gewusst…?

Bis heute weiß man nicht genau wovon sich das Wort Wikinger ableitet.
Die einen glauben, es geht auf „wig“ (Handelsplatz) zurück, andere meinen, dessen Ursprung in „vikingr“ (Seeräuber) zu erkennen.

• Die nachfolgende Kopie stammt aus dem US-amerikanischen Heidenforum The Cauldron, welches über 3000 Benutzer hat. Liest man sich die Postings durch, gewinnt man den Eindruck, daß heidnisches Gedankengut in der Weltliteratur längst seinen festen Platz hat und unserer Bild über die Gesellschaft der USA und Canadas durch die Medien verzerrt dargestellt wird. Einmal mehr gewinnt man den Eindruck, daß wir Teil einer weltweiten Entwicklung sind und Octavio Paz, der Literaturnobelpreisträger von 1990, welcher die Formel "The secret religion of modern age" geprägt hat, nur die heutige Wirklichkeit vorweggenommen hatte. Die ganze Westliche Welt erlebt eine heidnische Renaissance, Lateinamerika aber auch. Ich hoffe, Ihr kommt mit dem American English klar!

Author Topic: What converted you? (Read 7154 times)
    WarHorse
    High Adept Member
    Last Login:January 10, 2011, 07:01:56 pm
    United States United States

Religion: Eclectic Pantheist

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore

What converted you?
    « Topic Start: October 14, 2007, 06:36:00 pm »

What happened in your life to make you a Pagan?

Was there a specific instance, or a series of instances?

A book, a movie, a dream - what?

"I've seen knights in armor panic at the first hint of battle. And I've seen the lowliest unarmed squire pull a spear from his own body to defend a dying horse." - Kevin Costner as Robin of Loxley, Robin Hood; Prince of Thieves.

Welcome, Guest!
    You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Juni
    Adept Member
    Last Login:Today at 11:09:26 am

Religion: Path of Mist (multi-cultural polytheism)
    TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore

Re: What converted you?
    « Reply #1: October 14, 2007, 06:41:11 pm »

Quote from: WarHorse on October 14, 2007, 06:36:00 pm

This is so horribly cliche, but I sort of was a pagan before I knew what paganism was. I honored ancient deities and believed in them, and then one day I found a book that said other modern people did it too, and went "cool!", and that was about it.

.: Eleven-Pm.org :.

Join me in Chat on Tuesdays, 4pm Eastern!
    WarHorse
    High Adept Member

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore

« Reply #2: October 14, 2007, 06:44:58 pm »

For me, it was The Girl in White Armor, a book about Joan of Arc, Jehanne D'Arc.

The thought of her had irritated my brain for years before I checked out the book. I was trying to be an Atheist, really and truly, but the documented miracles surrounding Jehanne converted me.

It became obvious there was another Power out there, something she could touch and share. She prayed to the JCI God, but was answered by St. Catherine, St. Michael, and St. Margaret. And she performed miracles - documented miracles.

And so my Atheism died.

Through Jehanne I came to find my Panthiestic self; where gods and saints are real, and approachable.

She and I have had very different Paths, but the goal is the same, I believe: to touch the Unknowable.

And I now realize that I have not thanked Jehanne enough; yea, I have hardly thanked her at all.

So I will crawl back under my rock for a while, and contemplate.

"I've seen knights in armor panic at the first hint of battle. And I've seen the lowliest unarmed squire pull a spear from his own body to defend a dying horse." - Kevin Costner as Robin of Loxley, Robin Hood; Prince of Thieves.
    Finn
    High Adept Member
    Last Login:Today at 09:57:15 am

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
    TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore

« Reply #3: October 14, 2007, 06:47:35 pm »

The short (and embarrassing) answer? A long time interest in books and fantasy. It may sound dumb to say it, but without books, my... awareness of things would never have existed.

And another short (but less embarrassing) answer? A long series of unfortunate events, ending in some very fortunate ones, convinced me that 1) some Gods were silent, and others were not, and 2) truth is stranger than fiction.
    Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
    My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
    nigel
    Adept Member
    Last Login:May 10, 2010, 09:44:56 pm

Religion: Seeking

Blog entries (0)

Ignore

« Reply #4: October 14, 2007, 07:00:34 pm »

For me, a book, heck I don't even remember the title, just vague recollection of the plot (I was like 9 or 10 when I read it, I was a very advanced reader), hit the unfamiliar term wicca googled it and that lead to this point.
    ----------------------------------------------
    I'm a naughty monkey
    Cent
    Master Member
    Last Login:September 15, 2010, 06:22:39 pm
    Canada Canada

Religion: Of the Earth

Blog entries (0)

Ignore

« Reply #5: October 14, 2007, 08:12:59 pm »

My whole life brought me to where I am now. My mother Anglican, my father Agnostic.
    I remember feeling torn between the 2. Memories as a child, on one hand hoping my mother would choose me out of all my sisters to say grace at xmas, easter and such. It made her so happy when it was well done. On the other hand knowing my father would get up and leave the room, in later years he would Ignore grace was being said. Mom always would say, put the salad and dressing down by your father so he doesn't interupt by asking for things to be passed.

Without realizing, my mom shook the balance I teetered on. Someone had done something and didn't fess up. I heard her call, Girls!. We all scrambled to see what was up. I was the last to get there so the last in line. She had the bible in her hand and 1 by 1 we placed our hand on it and swore it wasn't me. At first I didn't get what was happening, until the bible was in front of me. I was shocked as I knew someone lied. I looked up at my mom and her eyebrow went up. I began to shake as I placed my hand on her bible. I told the truth, it wasn't me. Well she didn't believe me, and the treatment of her disgust went on for weeks. I couldn't believe she thought I would lie to her or on her bible. I prayed that she would find out. She never did.
    I was sent to sunday school along with my 3 older sisters, my other sisters were to young. My parents had agreed The Salvation Army is a good cause and more open. After the second sunday I was passing by the living room and my father called my name. As I entered the room *which children were not allowed unless invited by an adult*, my mother was sitting with her wool making something. Father put his newspaper down and asked me, "what did you learn today at sunday school". I looked over at my mother, she looked at me over her glasses and her eyebrow went up. I stuttered and stammered and said they taught about good love and bad love. He continued making me answer what I was hiding.
    Finally quoting, to make love is a sin. His face told all, yet he dismissed me. That night they argued and Sunday School was no more. In the eyes of a child, I was at fault, my mother showed disappointment.

I also was unsettling to my mother. I would blurt out things no one had told me. Say things just before someone said it. "Gramma is on the Phone"... minutes later the phone would ring, as she picked it up she would look at me, I could see the worry/or fear perhaps. I would cry because someone else was sad, she would say, grow a thick skin with agitation. When I was scared of things I could see, she would get mad at me and tell me, nothing's there stop this foolishnish. It upset her the most when I "pretended" to play with a little redheaded boy. I was too young to realize what she wanted me to denouce was what I felt was my other half. I never let this boy go, and he grew to a man along side. How right I was. It was my twin brother who died just before my birth. The list goes on, until I just stopped voicing, began to hid what I knew scared her. Learnt how to hold my tongue and not blurt what came to mind or something I saw in my mind. So to prevent it being known that it still was part of me. *a closet in the making* I buried it as much as possible.

Mid twenty was rough. It was the time in my life when I began to see things that go bump in the night.
    By the time I was hitting 30 I began digging for info in the Scientific world. Trying to understand how things are, why or how is it possible these things that scared others exist. How do I know things, what is this thing called Sight. From there I began to see my path realized to answer these questions, I must become a student. A few people I knew that had what they called senses told me it was a waste of time to study something you can already do, and to study and practice things I have no ability in.

To make a long story short. *ya I know... to late. smiles*
    My logical brain had to find out How, How can I do this. Others asked me this same questions, asking how they can learn to do it. I had no answers. So that is where I decided to begin. It was like something inside me woke up and I had trouble catching up to changes and understanding as things manifested and this thing they called sight went much deeper than the "Vision" thing.

This is when I felt a very big ... shift inside me. I began to also study the Rhythm of the Earth, the seasons, dimensions.. I found Gaia, as a living breathing entity.

The first time I moved my own energy into my hands and discovered that the door swings both ways. Not only is it possible for images to come to me, but you can push the door the opposite way. I found who I was, I found my twin brother Robert, I found guides and energy abounds. I found my faith.

Energy Follows Attention
    catja6
    Board Staff
    Staff
    Adept Member
    Last Login:January 10, 2011, 11:52:19 am
    Canada Canada

Religion: Hellenic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: October 14, 2007, 08:23:44 pm »

D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths, baby. My big dilemma at age five was: what do I want more? To be Artemis, or to have Hermes as my boyfriend? I, with impeccable kindergarten logic, decided that I could have both -- if I'm Artemis, I'm a goddess, which means I can do whatever I want, including having Hermes as a boyfriend, so there!
    AIONIA
    Adept Member
    Last Login:January 03, 2011, 09:07:10 pm

Religion: Who knows... Maybe Hellenic... Kinda...

Blog entries (4)

Ignore

« Reply #7: October 14, 2007, 08:36:32 pm »

Quote from: catja6 on October 14, 2007, 08:23:44 pm
    D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths

Me too. Although I was seven, and I only had eyes for Apollo. Though I personally think I was fated to find my copy so it would remind me of my past-lives. After I found stuff online, D'aulries mysteriously disappeared.
    WarHorse
    High Adept Member

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore

« Reply #8: October 14, 2007, 08:45:17 pm »

Quote from: Cent on October 14, 2007, 08:12:59 pm
    My whole life brought me to where I am now.

While reading your post, my cat became agitated, then left the room in a hurry.

Cent, I believe your Power and your history have given you gifts beyond the imagination of most.

It is my wish that you guard these gifts, and use them sparingly.

Our emotions enhance these gifts, and in my case, I have learned to moderate my emotions. Many of us here have learned the same; yet few (as I have seen) have the power that you have been given.

I beg you to tread this Path lightly, with forgiveness in your heart.

Pain given is pain returned; and some learn to live with this Pain, to revel in it. I find this Pain to be a learning experience, not to be shared.

Love is to be shared, though it sometimes gives us Pain in return. Love is the Greatest.

I would rather feel the Pain of Love, than the Pain of the Inflicted.

But that is only my point of view.

Celtee
    Staff
    High Adept Member
    Last Login:November 15, 2010, 08:17:20 pm

Religion: Wandering Seeker with Celtic and Hedgewitch leanings
    TCN ID: SilverWolf

The lone wolf waits...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: October 14, 2007, 09:35:11 pm »

I was rapidly becoming disenchanted with my Mormon upbringing and feeling more and more like I didn't fit in (it's pretty bad when a person only feels like she belongs ONCE a year at Girls' Camp! Shocked ) starting about the time I was 10 or 11. By the time I was in my late teens, I'd mostly quit attending church and was wandering around, seeking what I wanted. (Ring a bell, does it? Grin)

About 12 years ago, I borrowed a book from the local library about Ancient Ireland. I read about Brigid's flame at Kildare and how it was tended by 19 women and on the 20th day, She tended it Herself. I wanted then to be a flame keeper for Her and, well, here I am now. Smiley

I'm still wandering (and wondering!) and seeking but at least I've my feet set upon a path now.
    "It's only forever
    Not long at all"
    ~~Jareth

"Time may change me
    But I can't trace time
    I said that time may change me
    But I can't trace time"
    Changes
    ~~ David Bowie

"Why do you have to be a nonconformist like everybody else?"
    ~~James Thurber
    Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
    Assistant Board Coordinator
    Senior Staff
    Adept Member
    Last Login:January 02, 2011, 09:07:56 am
    Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist
    TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #10: October 14, 2007, 09:52:28 pm »

It upset her the most when I "pretended" to play with a little redheaded boy. I was too young to realize what she wanted me to denouce was what I felt was my other half. I never let this boy go, and he grew to a man along side. How right I was. It was my twin brother who died just before my birth.

My 'invisible friend' looked very much like me, which didn't disturb my mother at all. I think she could see her too, but it wasn't until we had the 'sex talk' when I was twelve that she told me that she had miscarried my twin a few months before I was born.

Unfortunately, she disappeared when I hit puberty and was replaced by migraines and uncontrolled psychic 'stuff'. My journey to control is pretty well documented on other threads so I won't go into it here but I count it lucky that the Christian half of my parentage (dad) was content to live as a good example rather than try to convert his wife or interfere with his kids (two Pagans, two Christians).

I sometimes think I'd like to see her again, but either my buffers don't let her through or she has reincarnated somewhere else.

Absent
    "There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
    - Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

You can lead a fish to water, but you have to walk real fast or they'll die. -R. Nylund
    Journey
    Adept Member
    Last Login:February 13, 2010, 03:43:29 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore

« Reply #11: October 14, 2007, 10:05:45 pm »

My whole life brought me to where I am now. This is when I felt a very big ... shift inside me. I began to also study the Rhythm of the Earth, the seasons, dimensions.. I found Gaia, as a living breathing entity.

The first time I moved my own energy into my hands and discovered that the door swings both ways. Not only is it possible for images to come to me, but you can push the door the opposite way. I found who I was, I found my twin brother Robert, I found guides and energy abounds. I found my faith.

What a long road you had to travel, but I am glad it brought to a place of peace.

Blessings along your path.
    Journey
    Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore

« Reply #12: October 14, 2007, 10:11:09 pm »

The presence of a spiritual entity I have known forever, who is my spirit mother as well as an aspect of myself.
    Adoratrix
    Journeyman
    Last Login:April 15, 2008, 12:11:00 am
    Canada Canada

Religion: Kemetic Reformed

Blog entries (0)

Ignore

« Reply #13: October 14, 2007, 10:32:19 pm »

I'm with the side of the room that feels kinda silly - it was a computer game.

Years ago, there was this city-building game called "Pharaoh", which I snapped up immediately because of my almost life-long obsession with ancient Egypt. Around that time, people had started giving me statues of the gods as gifts for birthday and Christmas and I'd taken to lighting little tea lights in front of them and poking at it that way.

Then, one afternoon, I was playing the game and got a well-deserved smackdown from Osiris for not having my town make more offerings. At the exact same time, a really violent storm came out of nowhere and blew my neighbourhood around - trees down, garden thingies blown half-way to the highway, nothing serious but it got everybody's attention.

After it passed, I left the game on and went outside with my parents to survey the damage. I remember looking around at our lawn, looking at the beautiful sky and something just clicking. Like I suddenly realized "Wow...this could all be real..."

Haven't looked back since. Cheesy
    Aster Breo
    SIG Coordinator
    Staff
    High Adept Member
    Last Login:January 09, 2011, 11:01:40 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
    TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #14: October 14, 2007, 10:33:26 pm »

Like others, I was raised Christian, but got way turned off on it when the visiting "youth lay ministry" tried to force me to accept Jesus as my personal saviour and be Saved. I didn't even understand what that meant. I asked a LOT of uncomfortable questions, and was eventually impeached and removed from the presidency of the church youth group. Seriously. So, that was it for me and church.

I tried being agnostic for a while, but thought there might be something else going on underneath it, so that didn't really stick.

The embarrassing truth is that it was a book that first clued me in that other people might think about things similarly to the way I did. And the horribly cliched and embarrassing truth is that its was The Mists of Avalon that did it for me. Embarrassed

After reading that, I went looking -- this was pre-internet (early 80s), so it wasn't easy. It took a long time and a lot of research. Much of which I've already talked about on TC. Cheesy

My favorite part was being accused of being a witch back in 1983 or so, by someone who just couldn't believe that my then boyfriend/now husband might be with me of his own free will. I MUST have used his hair and toenail clippings to cast a love spell over him or bind him to me. Roll Eyes At the time, I didn't have a clue how to do something like that -- nor would I, even if I did know how. 23 years later, we're still happily married -- and I've never touched his toenail clippings because...well...yuck. Tongue

• Die nachfolgende Kopie stammt aus dem US-amerikanischen Heidenforum The Cauldron, welches über 3000 Benutzer hat. Liest man sich die Postings durch, gewinnt man den Eindruck, daß heidnisches Gedankengut in der Weltliteratur längst seinen festen Platz hat und unserer Bild über die Gesellschaft der USA und Canadas durch die Medien verzerrt dargestellt wird. Einmal mehr gewinnt man den Eindruck, daß wir Teil einer weltweiten Entwicklung sind und Octavio Paz, der Literaturnobelpreisträger von 1990, welcher die Formel "The secret religion of modern age" geprägt hat, nur die heutige Wirklichkeit vorweggenommen hatte. Die ganze Westliche Welt erlebt eine heidnische Renaissance, Lateinamerika aber auch. Ich hoffe, Ihr kommt mit dem American English klar!

Author Topic: What converted you? (Read 7154 times)
    WarHorse
    High Adept Member

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore

What converted you?
    « Topic Start: October 14, 2007, 06:36:00 pm »

Welcome, Guest!
    You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Juni
    Adept Member
    Last Login:Today at 11:09:26 am

Religion: Path of Mist (multi-cultural polytheism)
    TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore

« Reply #1: October 14, 2007, 06:41:11 pm »

This is so horribly cliche, but I sort of was a pagan before I knew what paganism was. I honored ancient deities and believed in them, and then one day I found a book that said other modern people did it too, and went "cool!", and that was about it.

.: Eleven-Pm.org :.

Join me in Chat on Tuesdays, 4pm Eastern!
    WarHorse
    High Adept Member

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore

« Reply #2: October 14, 2007, 06:44:58 pm »

For me, it was The Girl in White Armor, a book about Joan of Arc, Jehanne D'Arc.

The thought of her had irritated my brain for years before I checked out the book. I was trying to be an Atheist, really and truly, but the documented miracles surrounding Jehanne converted me.

It became obvious there was another Power out there, something she could touch and share. She prayed to the JCI God, but was answered by St. Catherine, St. Michael, and St. Margaret. And she performed miracles - documented miracles.

And so my Atheism died.

Through Jehanne I came to find my Panthiestic self; where gods and saints are real, and approachable.

She and I have had very different Paths, but the goal is the same, I believe: to touch the Unknowable.

And I now realize that I have not thanked Jehanne enough; yea, I have hardly thanked her at all.

So I will crawl back under my rock for a while, and contemplate.

Finn
    High Adept Member
    Last Login:Today at 09:57:15 am

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
    TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore

« Reply #3: October 14, 2007, 06:47:35 pm »

The short (and embarrassing) answer? A long time interest in books and fantasy. It may sound dumb to say it, but without books, my... awareness of things would never have existed.

And another short (but less embarrassing) answer? A long series of unfortunate events, ending in some very fortunate ones, convinced me that 1) some Gods were silent, and others were not, and 2) truth is stranger than fiction.
    Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
    My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
    nigel
    Adept Member
    Last Login:May 10, 2010, 09:44:56 pm

Religion: Seeking

Blog entries (0)

Ignore

« Reply #4: October 14, 2007, 07:00:34 pm »

For me, a book, heck I don't even remember the title, just vague recollection of the plot (I was like 9 or 10 when I read it, I was a very advanced reader), hit the unfamiliar term wicca googled it and that lead to this point.
    ----------------------------------------------
    I'm a naughty monkey
    Cent
    Master Member
    Last Login:September 15, 2010, 06:22:39 pm
    Canada Canada

Religion: Of the Earth

Blog entries (0)

Ignore

« Reply #5: October 14, 2007, 08:12:59 pm »

My whole life brought me to where I am now. My mother Anglican, my father Agnostic.
    I remember feeling torn between the 2. Memories as a child, on one hand hoping my mother would choose me out of all my sisters to say grace at xmas, easter and such. It made her so happy when it was well done. On the other hand knowing my father would get up and leave the room, in later years he would Ignore grace was being said. Mom always would say, put the salad and dressing down by your father so he doesn't interupt by asking for things to be passed.

Without realizing, my mom shook the balance I teetered on. Someone had done something and didn't fess up. I heard her call, Girls!. We all scrambled to see what was up. I was the last to get there so the last in line. She had the bible in her hand and 1 by 1 we placed our hand on it and swore it wasn't me. At first I didn't get what was happening, until the bible was in front of me. I was shocked as I knew someone lied. I looked up at my mom and her eyebrow went up. I began to shake as I placed my hand on her bible. I told the truth, it wasn't me. Well she didn't believe me, and the treatment of her disgust went on for weeks. I couldn't believe she thought I would lie to her or on her bible. I prayed that she would find out. She never did.
    I was sent to sunday school along with my 3 older sisters, my other sisters were to young. My parents had agreed The Salvation Army is a good cause and more open. After the second sunday I was passing by the living room and my father called my name. As I entered the room *which children were not allowed unless invited by an adult*, my mother was sitting with her wool making something. Father put his newspaper down and asked me, "what did you learn today at sunday school". I looked over at my mother, she looked at me over her glasses and her eyebrow went up. I stuttered and stammered and said they taught about good love and bad love. He continued making me answer what I was hiding.
    Finally quoting, to make love is a sin. His face told all, yet he dismissed me. That night they argued and Sunday School was no more. In the eyes of a child, I was at fault, my mother showed disappointment.

I also was unsettling to my mother. I would blurt out things no one had told me. Say things just before someone said it. "Gramma is on the Phone"... minutes later the phone would ring, as she picked it up she would look at me, I could see the worry/or fear perhaps. I would cry because someone else was sad, she would say, grow a thick skin with agitation. When I was scared of things I could see, she would get mad at me and tell me, nothing's there stop this foolishnish. It upset her the most when I "pretended" to play with a little redheaded boy. I was too young to realize what she wanted me to denouce was what I felt was my other half. I never let this boy go, and he grew to a man along side. How right I was. It was my twin brother who died just before my birth. The list goes on, until I just stopped voicing, began to hid what I knew scared her. Learnt how to hold my tongue and not blurt what came to mind or something I saw in my mind. So to prevent it being known that it still was part of me. *a closet in the making* I buried it as much as possible.

Mid twenty was rough. It was the time in my life when I began to see things that go bump in the night.
    By the time I was hitting 30 I began digging for info in the Scientific world. Trying to understand how things are, why or how is it possible these things that scared others exist. How do I know things, what is this thing called Sight. From there I began to see my path realized to answer these questions, I must become a student. A few people I knew that had what they called senses told me it was a waste of time to study something you can already do, and to study and practice things I have no ability in.

To make a long story short. *ya I know... to late. smiles*
    My logical brain had to find out How, How can I do this. Others asked me this same questions, asking how they can learn to do it. I had no answers. So that is where I decided to begin. It was like something inside me woke up and I had trouble catching up to changes and understanding as things manifested and this thing they called sight went much deeper than the "Vision" thing.

This is when I felt a very big ... shift inside me. I began to also study the Rhythm of the Earth, the seasons, dimensions.. I found Gaia, as a living breathing entity.

Energy Follows Attention
    catja6
    Board Staff
    Staff
    Adept Member
    Last Login:January 10, 2011, 11:52:19 am
    Canada Canada

Religion: Hellenic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: October 14, 2007, 08:23:44 pm »

D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths, baby. My big dilemma at age five was: what do I want more? To be Artemis, or to have Hermes as my boyfriend? I, with impeccable kindergarten logic, decided that I could have both -- if I'm Artemis, I'm a goddess, which means I can do whatever I want, including having Hermes as a boyfriend, so there!
    AIONIA
    Adept Member
    Last Login:January 03, 2011, 09:07:10 pm

Religion: Who knows... Maybe Hellenic... Kinda...

Blog entries (4)

Ignore

« Reply #7: October 14, 2007, 08:36:32 pm »

Quote from: catja6 on October 14, 2007, 08:23:44 pm
    D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths

Me too. Although I was seven, and I only had eyes for Apollo. Though I personally think I was fated to find my copy so it would remind me of my past-lives. After I found stuff online, D'aulries mysteriously disappeared.
    WarHorse
    High Adept Member

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore

« Reply #8: October 14, 2007, 08:45:17 pm »

My whole life brought me to where I am now.

While reading your post, my cat became agitated, then left the room in a hurry.

Cent, I believe your Power and your history have given you gifts beyond the imagination of most.

It is my wish that you guard these gifts, and use them sparingly.

Our emotions enhance these gifts, and in my case, I have learned to moderate my emotions. Many of us here have learned the same; yet few (as I have seen) have the power that you have been given.

I beg you to tread this Path lightly, with forgiveness in your heart.

Pain given is pain returned; and some learn to live with this Pain, to revel in it. I find this Pain to be a learning experience, not to be shared.

Love is to be shared, though it sometimes gives us Pain in return. Love is the Greatest.

I would rather feel the Pain of Love, than the Pain of the Inflicted.

But that is only my point of view.

Celtee
    Staff
    High Adept Member
    Last Login:November 15, 2010, 08:17:20 pm

Religion: Wandering Seeker with Celtic and Hedgewitch leanings
    TCN ID: SilverWolf

The lone wolf waits...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: October 14, 2007, 09:35:11 pm »

I was rapidly becoming disenchanted with my Mormon upbringing and feeling more and more like I didn't fit in (it's pretty bad when a person only feels like she belongs ONCE a year at Girls' Camp! Shocked ) starting about the time I was 10 or 11. By the time I was in my late teens, I'd mostly quit attending church and was wandering around, seeking what I wanted. (Ring a bell, does it? Grin)

About 12 years ago, I borrowed a book from the local library about Ancient Ireland. I read about Brigid's flame at Kildare and how it was tended by 19 women and on the 20th day, She tended it Herself. I wanted then to be a flame keeper for Her and, well, here I am now. Smiley

I'm still wandering (and wondering!) and seeking but at least I've my feet set upon a path now.
    "It's only forever
    Not long at all"
    ~~Jareth

"Time may change me
    But I can't trace time
    I said that time may change me
    But I can't trace time"
    Changes
    ~~ David Bowie

"Why do you have to be a nonconformist like everybody else?"
    ~~James Thurber
    Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
    Assistant Board Coordinator
    Senior Staff
    Adept Member
    Last Login:January 02, 2011, 09:07:56 am
    Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist
    TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #10: October 14, 2007, 09:52:28 pm »

It upset her the most when I "pretended" to play with a little redheaded boy. I was too young to realize what she wanted me to denouce was what I felt was my other half. I never let this boy go, and he grew to a man along side. How right I was. It was my twin brother who died just before my birth.

My 'invisible friend' looked very much like me, which didn't disturb my mother at all. I think she could see her too, but it wasn't until we had the 'sex talk' when I was twelve that she told me that she had miscarried my twin a few months before I was born.

Unfortunately, she disappeared when I hit puberty and was replaced by migraines and uncontrolled psychic 'stuff'. My journey to control is pretty well documented on other threads so I won't go into it here but I count it lucky that the Christian half of my parentage (dad) was content to live as a good example rather than try to convert his wife or interfere with his kids (two Pagans, two Christians).

I sometimes think I'd like to see her again, but either my buffers don't let her through or she has reincarnated somewhere else.

Absent
    "There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
    - Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

You can lead a fish to water, but you have to walk real fast or they'll die. -R. Nylund
    Journey
    Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore

« Reply #11: October 14, 2007, 10:05:45 pm »

My whole life brought me to where I am now. This is when I felt a very big ... shift inside me. I began to also study the Rhythm of the Earth, the seasons, dimensions.. I found Gaia, as a living breathing entity.

What a long road you had to travel, but I am glad it brought to a place of peace.

Blessings along your path.
    Journey
    Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore

« Reply #12: October 14, 2007, 10:11:09 pm »

The presence of a spiritual entity I have known forever, who is my spirit mother as well as an aspect of myself.
    Adoratrix
    Journeyman
    Last Login:April 15, 2008, 12:11:00 am
    Canada Canada

Religion: Kemetic Reformed

Blog entries (0)

Ignore

« Reply #13: October 14, 2007, 10:32:19 pm »

I'm with the side of the room that feels kinda silly - it was a computer game.

Years ago, there was this city-building game called "Pharaoh", which I snapped up immediately because of my almost life-long obsession with ancient Egypt. Around that time, people had started giving me statues of the gods as gifts for birthday and Christmas and I'd taken to lighting little tea lights in front of them and poking at it that way.

Then, one afternoon, I was playing the game and got a well-deserved smackdown from Osiris for not having my town make more offerings. At the exact same time, a really violent storm came out of nowhere and blew my neighbourhood around - trees down, garden thingies blown half-way to the highway, nothing serious but it got everybody's attention.

After it passed, I left the game on and went outside with my parents to survey the damage. I remember looking around at our lawn, looking at the beautiful sky and something just clicking. Like I suddenly realized "Wow...this could all be real..."

Haven't looked back since. Cheesy
    Aster Breo
    SIG Coordinator
    Staff
    High Adept Member
    Last Login:January 09, 2011, 11:01:40 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
    TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #14: October 14, 2007, 10:33:26 pm »

Like others, I was raised Christian, but got way turned off on it when the visiting "youth lay ministry" tried to force me to accept Jesus as my personal saviour and be Saved. I didn't even understand what that meant. I asked a LOT of uncomfortable questions, and was eventually impeached and removed from the presidency of the church youth group. Seriously. So, that was it for me and church.

I tried being agnostic for a while, but thought there might be something else going on underneath it, so that didn't really stick.

The embarrassing truth is that it was a book that first clued me in that other people might think about things similarly to the way I did. And the horribly cliched and embarrassing truth is that its was The Mists of Avalon that did it for me. Embarrassed

After reading that, I went looking -- this was pre-internet (early 80s), so it wasn't easy. It took a long time and a lot of research. Much of which I've already talked about on TC. Cheesy

My favorite part was being accused of being a witch back in 1983 or so, by someone who just couldn't believe that my then boyfriend/now husband might be with me of his own free will. I MUST have used his hair and toenail clippings to cast a love spell over him or bind him to me. Roll Eyes At the time, I didn't have a clue how to do something like that -- nor would I, even if I did know how. 23 years later, we're still happily married -- and I've never touched his toenail clippings because...well...yuck. Tongue

• nein komme ich nicht mit klar , habe auch nicht die zeit mir immer alles zu Übersetzen, sei es durch lingoes oder Google .

Aber zum ersten, ja dort auf dem Kontinent sind auch nur Menschen , die an etwas glauben und die nicht so sind wie wir das von den Medien vorgegaukelt bekommen und sie wollen genauso wie wir leben und leben lassen und sind genauso wie wir ,du, er. sie und es, unzufrieden oder zufrieden mit ihrer welt.

Und auch Literatur ist bei ihnen sehr Groß angesagt auch Heidnische .
    Einige alte schriftstücke über Heidentum und auch dem Heidnischen Glauben die ich bei Google gemeinfrei runztergeladen habe , waren Deutsche uralte ausgaben die dann aus den Universitäten dort kommen , Hergestellt und gedruckt hier und dort einen stempel bekamen.

Die US Kultur ist eine Assimilationskultur aber nur was gefällt und was in den Kram passt

• nein komme ich nicht mit klar , habe auch nicht die zeit mir immer alles zu Übersetzen, sei es durch lingoes oder Google .

Aber zum ersten, ja dort auf dem Kontinent sind auch nur Menschen , die an etwas glauben und die nicht so sind wie wir das von den Medien vorgegaukelt bekommen und sie wollen genauso wie wir leben und leben lassen und sind genauso wie wir ,du, er. sie und es, unzufrieden oder zufrieden mit ihrer welt.

Und auch Literatur ist bei ihnen sehr Groß angesagt auch Heidnische .
    Einige alte schriftstücke über Heidentum und auch dem Heidnischen Glauben die ich bei Google gemeinfrei runztergeladen habe , waren Deutsche uralte ausgaben die dann aus den Universitäten dort kommen , Hergestellt und gedruckt hier und dort einen stempel bekamen.

Die US Kultur ist eine Assimilationskultur aber nur was gefällt und was in den Kram passt